4th - 5th Grade
(Only at participating schools)
Keyboarding is considered to be the "penmanship" of the computer age. As technology has evolved, there has been a paradigm shift in the way we communicate: Word processing, electronic communication, slideshow presentation, etc...
Computer Stars technology applications program will assist in developing and increasing student's knowledge of computer skills in order to meet the challenges of our modern society.
4th Grade - Semester I
Student's learn proper keyboarding techniques to include:
• Home row keys
• Proper finger placement
• Beginning key strokes
• Speed & accuracy
• Beginning to intermediate key strokes
• Improvement in efficiency in using the computer as a writing, editing, and computing tool, thereby maximizing classroom time.
• Improvement in attitude toward writing - less frustration looking for keys rather than entering information.
• Improvement in language arts - reading, spelling and writing ability.
• Improvement in creative thought.
• Improvement in preparing all students for a technological society
Semester II - Exploring Microsoft Word
Simple Word Projects I
Microsoft Word is the most widely used word processing application. If you are any type of computer user, you have more than likely used or seen a Microsoft Word document. Microsoft Word is not only used in the business or collegiate world but students at an early elementary school age are using it as part of their classroom curriculum.
It is important that students at an early age become familiar and learn a basic knowledge of Word. The computer skills they acquire will benefit your student for a lifetime.
Class projects includes curriculum centered activities in four major curricular areas: language arts, social studies, science and math. Students will learn:
• Word processing
• Insert, rotate, edit text boxes, images, clip art
• Customize templates
• Create and save files
• Import graphics and images
5th Grade Semester I - Microsoft PowerPoint
Student's gain a basic knowledge and understanding of Microsoft Powerpoint.They will learn and become familiar with navigating through the software, utilize the various tools, and discover the capabilities and features of Powerpoint. Student's will prepare a Powerpoint presentation using assorted methods for editing and formatting text and will gain experience in adding animation, using word art and organizational charts.
• Creating slides
• Navigating through software
• Implementing sound & animation
• Importing graphics & images
• Formatting text
Semester II - Introduction to Microsoft Excel
Student's gain a basic knowledge and understanding of Microsoft Excel.They will learn and become familiar with navigating through the software, utilize the various tools, and discover the capabilities and features of Excel. Student's will learn how to create spreadsheets, enter and format data, create custom charts and graphs, as well as, how to create basic formulas.
Skills gained:• Navigating through Excel software
• Uses & importance of spreadsheets
• Create formulas
• How to customize spreadsheets, and more.